Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Hi, my name is..." A Guide to First Impressions

I know I have neglected my blogging for some time now. Don’t hate me! I’ll try my best to write as frequent as possible. Now as the school year has come to an end and we have finished our internships for the month (which flew by so quickly), it’s time to embrace the real world. Excited? Yes. Petrified? Very much so.
If I learned one thing from this year, it is that Public Relations is a “people” industry  - meaning that it is about who you know. Therefore, it’s important to remember that good ol’ adage: first impressions are the most crucial; make it count! While I was channel surfing today, I came across a television program that I occasionally watch called Style by Jury. The ‘before’ candidate comes into the room and is placed in front of a group of people behind a two-way mirror. The jury can critique and pick apart the candidate, which can become quite sad to hear. Clearly from what the jury says, the candidate’s first impression is shot.
The lucky candidate then gets to have a full body makeover and wardrobe change to make that first impression count. At the end of the program the ‘after’ candidate goes before a new group of people and is judged based on first impressions.
The reason I write this post is for the reason that I, a Public Relations (soon-to-be) practitioner, will have to make first impressions count towards the hundreds of people I will meet in my life. This goes for all professions. You want to make a good impression of yourself on someone because 1) you will be remembered more that way 2) you will gain connections and start building a network 3) people will take you more seriously.
I stumbled across a great post on how to make a great first impression. The post gives tips on what to do and how to act when meeting someone for the first time. The most important thing to remember is to always BE YOURSELF. I don’t think I can stress this enough. Who would want to pretend to be someone else just so people will like you better?  Ninety percent of the time, people will like you less for being the ‘fake’ you then the real you.  
Some beauty advice for making a first impression:
* Simplicity is the best policy. Do not overdo it with the clothing, makeup, accessories and perfume. A simple hairstyle like a classic pony tail or bun will do the trick. Plus, it will keep the hair out of your face and will look less messy.
*Stick to one part of your face you are going to accentuate. If you are going for dramatic eyes, don’t pair it with red stained lips and rosy cheeks. Save the ‘Bozo the Clown’ look for Halloween.
So remember, be yourself! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment